Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shower Resonance... and other things that are different in California

Written: August 11, 2014

As I got ready for my first Skype interview this afternoon, I was belting in the shower in order to calm the nerves and I realized I needed to readjust… because even the resonance in my shower is different on the west coast. I had gotten used to the feeling and sound of my Blacksburg shower. I would sing full musical numbers while washing my hair and know the feeling of how every note rang. But here, like most things, it’s just… different.

I’ll be honest: I’m not loving it all just yet. You probably think I’m lying because you may have seen the amount of pictures I’ve all ready posted. But let’s all just be honest and agree that things that are posted on social media aren’t always the things that are “real.” So yea, the golden gate bridge is lovely, and yea, the weather is fantastic, and yea, we’re doing all this cool new stuff in the big city… 
but my shower sounds different. And the weather is different. And the people are different. 
 I miss my people.

There’s a bunch of unspoken rules here, and if you follow the rules, then everything will be OK. For example: Dogs should be treated better than humans. Buy organic (unless you’re poor, like us). And never, under any circumstances, forget to recycle. They will hunt you down if you toss that aluminum can in the wrong receptacle. I've warned you.

Don’t get me wrong: This is a beautiful place and I’m glad to be here. I am truly glad! There’s so much to see, and we have barely scratched the surface. I’m sure this is just the beginning stage of any life change where you’re a little uncertain about it all.  You’ve been there. It’s all a little weird at first.

“Weird” has been our Word of the Month.

The stress of getting a job hasn’t helped things, that’s for sure. For about the first 10 days we were worry-free.
And then we had to pay our credit card bill.
Without income
… since May.  

It was an unpleasant feeling, much like the one you get in your stomach when you smell something you know you don’t want to eat. But we paid it, and we continue to survive. We continue to enjoy and explore and yes, eat. We are wise (and possibly stingy) with our spending until a job does begin, but is that really the worst thing? We have had great role models to follow when it comes to “living simply,” and I believe that we sure could be doing a lot worse. I am grateful and I will continue to be grateful.


But back to singing in my shower… it’s just a little off.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Every time we move it's a slight cultural adjustment. Obviously the Philippines was most extreme, but then Upstate NY was intense, too. Different societal norms. That's a huge part of why I started my life coaching business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so honest. I'll make sure to pray for you to find your new (not replacement) people. Much love!

    ReplyDelete