Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sweater Weather

I definitely did not bring enough warm clothing with me.

People warned me about the weather in the Bay Area, and you have my sincerest apologies for not fully believing you.

Now people back on the east coast (at least the northern part) are probably scoffing. You don't know what cold is! And actually, I do know. Having lived through the past 9 winters in the Appalachian mountains, I'm familiar. I'm not saying this weather is anywhere near the polar vortex of last year where the inside of our closed kitchen window was freezing over (Day After Tomorrow, anyone?). That is cold. I'm not trying to compare the two. I'm simply saying I probably shouldn't have purged my wardrobe like an eskimo preparing for island life.

In my mind, I thought heck yes I'm moving to California. Good-bye thick sweaters and overcoats! Hello year round open-toed shoes and 3/4 cardis.

That was a mistaken mindset. That is southern California. This is definitely not southern California.

Where those items work about nine times out of ten, you pretty much need to prepare for all weather types in this area. It's a confusing place, meteorologically speaking. It's actually a confusing place lots-of-ologically speaking. But apparently, there are tons of micro-climates that can change within mere miles. So if you're coming from a few miles north of the bridge, where we live, and are planning to head just across it, you need to bring warmer clothes and definitely a coat. But if you're planning to go even 2 miles further in to the city, you need a less heavy coat (and walking shoes- these hills are killer). If you're going to the airport and further south, tank top weather.
We've been told by multiple people that they have a second mini-waredrobe they keep in their car to be prepared for all weather at all times. I'm beginning to the think that's not such a crazy idea.

I have to be honest, I don't know whose genius idea it was to build a major metropolitan city on this land. The weather is unpredictable, the elevation changes will make you dizzy, the land itself is mostly reclaimed (meaning, it's not actual earth... the financial district was built on sunken ships in the late 1800s!), and OH YEA, it's also on a major fault line. Seems like a plan to me...


But, as I've said before, it sure is pretty.


Driving across the Golden Gate Bridge for the very first time to get to our new home!

0 comments:

Post a Comment